Thursday, August 5, 2010

Obsession: Red Dead Redemption





I now have proof Roger Ebert was wrong about video games.

I finished Red Dead Redemption a couple of hrs ago. I actually teared up at one point. If you played the game, you can probably guess where.

This game moved me the same way American Beauty moved me. It was just powerful, raw, with an amazing story.

Rockstar made a powerful, yet edgy game. There's swearing, nudity, sex, and a whole lot of violence. But it's all tied in to a story worthy of the silver screen.

Video games are art. Not all are as artistic as some, but video games create an emotional response. Joy, anguish, saddness, rage. It's all there.

When I beat it and the credits began to scroll across the screen, i had to read all the names out of respect for what they all had a part in creating.

To use Ebert's definition of art : Red Dead Redemption meets it. I was left shaken, moved and saddened it was over.

No comments:

Post a Comment